[xubuntu-users] Synaptic doesn't work on a new 14.04 installation

Juan R. de Silva juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 20:05:38 UTC 2014

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 16:13:10 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

> I have just installed xubuntu 14.04 on an IBM Thinkpad x201i.
>
> I like to use synaptic for adding software so I installed that (from the
> command line using apt-get) but it doesn't work, there are various
> symptoms according to how you try to run it:-
>
>     Run from the menus - asks for authentication in the normal manner
>     but nothing further happens, no GUI, nothing.

It is an exact picture of what happens if the password entered is
incorrect. E.g. if you make a typo entering your password you will get
"no GUI, nothing."  Make sure you did entered the correct password.

Otherwise, it should work. I have no problems with synaptic on 2 machines
running Ubuntu 14.04, one is an upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04, another is
fresh install.

Another suggestion, if you set a root password on your system synaptic
may expect you to enter your root password instead your sudo password.
I'm not sure if it is true in Ubuntu though. I had this experience in
openSUSE with Yast.