[xubuntu-users] My Xfce fonts looks bad

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Fri Dec 19 05:23:33 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 07, 2014 at 06:00:54PM -0500, Tong Sun wrote:
> There are three windows from the clip, the File manger, Terminal, and
> a xterm session. I think the File manger and Terminal are both using
> the same font rendering method, and they both look not as crisp as
> xterm.

What it looks like to me is scalable font rendering without
antialiasing.  I can get similar results with missing lines and clumpy
pixels if I switch off anti-aliasing, especially at small font sizes.

Go into the system settings for appearance/fonts and make sure that
anti-aliasing is enabled.  I also use "Slight" hinting (because it
seems to give tighter spacing than the other methods) and I have the
sub-pixel order set to match my display.  In the Terminal where I'm
typing this I'm using Libration Mono 8 and it is very clean; it
definitely doesn't have any of the issues from your screenshot.

                              -Dave Dodge/dododge at dododge.net