[xubuntu-users] Install to Mirrored Disks

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 15 01:21:51 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Jeffery Small <jeff at cjsa.com> wrote:
> Apparently the option to mirror disks is not included on standard desktop
> installations of Ubuntu.  I installed Xubuntu 14.04.1 and had the same
> problem, only realizing what was going on after the fact.  From what I've
> read, you must use the Ubuntu server version in order to get the RAID
> configuration option at install time and then upgrade the required packages
> to get to the desktop level you prefer.
>
> I find this a real pain and wish that the developers would revise this
> policy and include the RAID components in the desktop versions.  Possibly
> the idea is to make the desktop installation as simple as possible for the
> novice user, but mirroring the root filesystem after a desktop install is
> anything but straightforward.  If simplicity is the goal, the RAID option
> doesn't have to be in-your-face during installation, but it should be
> there.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I will mention since it's the
text-based installer that is required here, instead of using the
server disk you can also use the minimal CD:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

This will also give you the option at the end to install a Xubuntu
desktop, which the server does not.

The real issue here isn't that developers "won't offer" it on the
Desktop installer, but that the graphical desktop installer (Ubiquity)
doesn't include the RAID components, and efforts to write this have
proven difficult. Help with Ubiquity is always needed if you have the
talent to pitch in here :)