[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu 12.04 LTS and 14.04 LTS

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Thu Dec 4 10:09:53 UTC 2014

On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 10:39:19 +0100, John Chip wrote:
> I have tried with nomodeset, other video driver (mach64, ati, etc)

Does "etc" include "xserver-xorg-video-vesa"?
Did you set up a /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?
If so, does the monitor section include a "modeline"?
Often it's claimed that a "modeline" is obsolet, unneeded, but I need
the "modeline".
Did you at least grep for errors in the log file?

$ grep EE /var/log/Xorg

Regards,
Ralf

PS:

1. Describe ;)

"[snip] Describe the research you did to try and understand the problem
        before you asked the question.
 [snip] Describe the diagnostic steps you took to try and pin down the
        problem yourself before you asked the question. [snip]" -

Not easy for newbies, but I suspect somebody who already used Linux
should be aware about log files.

2. A few notes about lists.ubuntu.com

When you subscribed, didn't you read "Subscribe to xubuntu-users by
filling out the following form. Please respect the Ubuntu Code of
Conduct when posting to this list"? -

"[snip] Write your email underneath the email which you are replying to
 [snip] remove any unnecessary text
 [snip] Avoid sending emails in HTML format
 [snip] When replying to messages, use [snip] Reply To List function
 [snip] When starting a new subject, do not reply to a previous email
 [snip] Replying to digest emails breaks the threading [1]
 [snip]" - http://community.ubuntu.com/contribute/support/mailinglists/
[1] Solvable by using MIME Digest
    http://www.list.org/mailman-member/node28.html

Please girls and boys, try to respect the Ubuntu CoC when posting to
this list.

TIA