[xubuntu-users] highlighting and clicking in EVOLUTION

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Apr 23 21:01:18 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-23 at 22:31 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Xubuntu's policy regarding to "non-free" stuff might be less harder,
> OTOH, it's no big deal to include "non-free" to
> Debian's /etc/apt/sources.list and for hard-core "non-free" there are
> *buntu PPAs and Debian third party repositories.

I should explain what "hard-core non-free" is for.

There e.g. is linuxsampler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinuxSampler#Licensing

using the GPL, with an exception, does make the GPL null and void.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License

For the policy of Debian and *buntus this is a no-go, resp. there's a
little chance that it could be included to official *buntu repositories,
but there's absolutely no chance, that it ever will be included to an
official Debian repository.

Another issue often is caused by real license and/or patent issues.
Cinelerra http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinelerra is a good example for
this problem. JFTR it's not nearly professional. AFAIK there's no
professional NLE video software for Linux available.