[xubuntu-users] Minimal Xubuntu Install

ZP zukeprime at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 03:31:37 UTC 2013

Hey all,
Just a quickie with a how-to and keep the board alive.  I was
researching how to make Xubuntu even lighter for an old HP Pavilion
laptop I use as a test machine. Previously, I was having trouble with
power-off...it just wouldn't. ACPI settings, BIOS, etc., nothing worked.

So I attempted a minimal Ubuntu install with xubuntu-desktop
--no-install-recommends in accordance with this website:

http://flux242.blogspot.com/2013/05/minimal-xubuntu-desktop-installation.html

It actually works really well, and I was surprised by the result:  it
powers down and reboots normally.  Just thought I'd share and spread the
wealth.  It's almost (but not completely) like installing Arch, but
without the headaches of the Arch wiki and laborious command-line
procedure.  If you have the time and inclination, try it out and see if
your system is more responsive.

Now I'm just trying to figure out what the difference is between a
standard Xubuntu ISO install, and an Ubuntu-mini install with
Xubuntu-desktop and no-install-recommends.  Not sure yet.

|ZP|