[xubuntu-users] User-Friendliness - Was: Software Updater package?

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Sat Sep 28 16:29:33 UTC 2013

On 28/09/13 18:48, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-09-28 at 12:27 -0300, Bruno Benitez wrote:
>
>> Xubuntu needs and will grab more and more of the things that make
>> Ubuntu one of the most chosen linux distribution nowdays, because we
>> are part of them.

Xubuntu doesn't exactly need to grab new features or technical solutions
which are created for Ubuntu, but since Xubuntu uses the Ubuntu core,
following Ubuntu with some of these is wise to save the Xubuntu
developers their valuable time to maintain other solutions.

Naturally, if things aren't beneficial or ready enough for Xubuntu, like
Xmir wasn't for 13.10, they won't be included.

> It's a real bummer.
>
> I'm aware that Xubuntu and Ubuntu Studio are official part of Ubuntu.
> Btw. rebooting after a kernel update isn't an issue, I prefer it that
> way myself. I'm against tools that annoy users with useless
> notifications, e.g. that they have to reboot, tools that are borked,
> tools that fake that there is less self-responsibility needed.
>
> Many people migrated from Ubuntu to Xubuntu, when Xubuntu will become
> closer to Ubuntu, they likely will migrate from Xubuntu to another
> distro.

That's for them to decide. There will always be alternatives and people
who switch to them. You can never make everybody happy.

Pasi