[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu - my favourite

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Sep 14 09:09:10 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 13:51 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> Just once, a student asked what the strong point of Windows was.

Very simple hardware vendors take care that their hardware does run on
Windows. Those who write drivers for Windows listen to the users.

You hardly find this for Linux.

I bought a RME HDSPe AIO, this is a professional sound card. The card
was recommended at Linux audio developers, but sadly now only 2 of the 8
ADAT channels are available and I get tons of xruns even at high
latency. The one who has written the driver is ignorant.

When running a kernel-rt people often run into issues with the graphics
driver. Fortunately I don't have issues with the graphics, I own a
NVIDIA and ATI and if needed I switch from one to the other graphics,
however, non of the current kernel-rt I build does work on my machine, I
need to use older kernels I build.

What I try to point out. I can use Linux for my homes studio, but when I
worked as professional audio and video engineer, I never used Linux. I
also didn't use a Mac or Windows, but stable Windows and Macs for audio
and video where available for the studios I worked.

For good reasons you won't find a Linux PC in one of the big audio and
video studios. Before you now post links to big video studios, don't
confuse animation with non-linear video editing. There is no famous
studio on this planet using Linux only, at least not the Linux you and I
are using.

I have the luxury to chose Linux and FreeBSD as the only OS I use, but
if someone needs to make a living with computers, Windows and MacOS
often are needed. What format is expected by the printing company? Etc.
pp., even if Linux does work for your professional usage, you still
might need a Windows PC or Mac to get the needed format, to share files.

On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 20:28 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
> The WINE system for Linux runs some DOS and Windows software

I know, but I won an iPad and need to run iTunes, because I don't get
ad-hoc working. The available versions of iTunes didn't run on wine.
When I won the iPad I decided not to sell it, but to take a look at the
technology instead. Very interesting technology, but an ugly OS.
However, I use the iPad as reader, editor to write Linux scrips (when I
don't like to sit in front of my PC) and as clock. For the money such a
tablet PC does coast, I would prefer to buy a small laptop.

Since I've got VBox running with a Windows guest, I now prefer not to
test if software runs on wine.

On Sat, 2013-09-14 at 01:43 +0100, James Freer wrote:
> xfce maintainer

KISS means KISS, e.g. for the package management and it's tools ;).
However, I won't discuss the advantages of other distros, but only
mention that you don't need to worry about maintained Xfce for any major
distro. Xfce is one of the most used DEs.

On Sat, 2013-09-14 at 09:05 +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> What I like best about Xubuntu is that it concentrates on just one
> desk top manager. For me that is very much a plus point. As mentioned
> by some of you, other distros often have Xfce as 'also available' and
> not as the main DM.

That is the advantage for newbies, but for me it's an advantage when I
start completely without X and a DE, for Xubuntu/Ubuntu Studio I need to
reconfigure Xfce, for the other distro I mentioned, I directly set it up
to my needs, e.g. without hard disk killing crap like gvfs. That reminds
me that I need to write somebody who is willing to take a look at gvfs
with me.

Resume: It's better to use Xubuntu, than to use Ubuntu on a PC.
Hopefully the way Ubuntu goes now, won't have too much impact to the
*buntu projects, since not only Unity is an annoyance.

Regards,
Ralf