[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu - my favourite

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Sep 13 06:17:29 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-09-12 at 23:05 +0100, James Freer wrote:
> Like others have said - I also use xubuntu because I like its minimal
> approach and I add what I want to it (rather than doing what I used to
> do with Ubuntu back in 2009 - remove some and add others).
>
> I also did a survey of other xfce distros and also find that it is by
> far the most stable and pleasant to use. I also looked at the rolling
> release ones and I don't follow the rolling release model thoughts
> http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1246
>
> I was unfairly criticised when I mentioned it a while back in a
> discussion about improvement. I had mentioned that I think an
> improvement would be to have one annual point release as 6 month
> releases do demand quite a lot of work for developers. But rolling
> release seems very much a backward step for stability.
>
> But as far as the current situation goes - Distrowatch Page hit
> ranking Xubuntu is #27. So how can we promote Xubuntu to the place it
> deserves.
>
> james

Hi James,

first of all I like Xubuntu, resp. Ubuntu Studio, but you are writing
some nonsense here. An advantage of Xubuntu/Ubuntu Studio is, that you
have less work with setting up the install, but Xubuntu doesn't have a
"minimal approach", it's vise versa, it's far a way from the KISS
principle and bloated, the advantage is caused by the fact that it does
start all kinds of "unneeded" services, by installing all kinds of
"unneeded" software. By default Xubuntu does provide much software to
satisfy a huge target group. Regarding to the rolling release model and
stability, I experience Arch Linux as far more stable than
Xubuntu/Ubuntu Studio. Arch does use current stable versions from
upstream and those versions in addition first are tested by experienced
users. Such distros usually have a more experienced user base, than the
*buntu distros have got.

All major distros have got their advantages and drawbacks, what is the
best distro for the individual user depends to the know-how and the
needs of the individual user.

When ever I've got time, I try to contribute a little bit to Ubuntu
Studio (based on Xubuntu), to make Linux available for a huger group of
users, but for myself I more often use Arch Linux, because for the
reasons you mentioned, a minimal install where I decide what to install,
so I don't need to remove something, regarding to stability and some
other advantages, such as following upstream instead of providing
software that is split to several packages, following the KISS
principle. Regarding to your needs, you are using the wrong distro ;).

However, Xubuntu has got it's advantages too. IMO the advantages of
Xubuntu are that X, the WM and DE and a sane mix of useful applications
are already installed and configured and as for all *buntus even brand
new exotic drivers are started by default, you simply can connect your
brand new WiFi USB adapter and don't have to takle care about the
driver/firmware. This is an important advantage! But this advantages
does cause a more bloated Linux userspace than is needed for individual
users and it does coast stability.

When I recommend a distro, I do it by taking care of the users abilities
and needs. There are tasks when I neither would suggest to use Xubuntu,
nor Arch Linux, but instead I would recommend e.g. Debian.

It's seldom that something in any area is "far the best". IMO it's as
the OP said, something can be the best solution for the individual
person.

Note that many things for *buntus are tailor made for a huge target
group, but they aren't optimized to special tasks and compiling and
building packages for *buntu is much more work, than it is for the
averaged rolling release.

Within the *buntu family IMO Xubuntu is one of the better choices.
Ubuntu IMO is a PITA, but we shouldn't forget, that Xubuntu and all
other *buntus are based on the work of Ubuntu and while I prefer Ubuntu
we also should keep in mind that Ubuntu is based on Debian.

The most important thing to keep in mind, the knowledge of all users of
all distros is given to upstream, so e.g. Fedora does benefit from
Xubuntu and Xubuntu does benefit from Fedora, while both distros are not
directly related to each other.

The basic idea of Linux (the kernel) and Linux user space is to share
knowledge. The different distros with different advantages and drawbacks
for individual users are needed. Without the distro that doesn't fit
that good to our needs, the distro that does fit good to our needs
wouldn't be that good as it is.

2 Cents
Ralf