[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu - my favourite

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Sep 13 08:05:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 08:40 +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I am a bit surprised to hear that some of you have never used Windows.

My Atari ST has got a 80286 hardware emulator installed running DR DOS
and my Ubuntu Studio and Arch Linux share a VBox vdi including Windows
XP. I'm still using Windows, but I do not come from Windows or DR DOS
and never used them as my OS for daily work, excepted of the times when
I needed to borrow computers from friends, then I used some Apple OS and
Windows 98. I started with the C64 (nearly the original kernel, just
extended to parallel floppy connection) and continued with the Atari ST,
the normal ST TOS, I tested others, but it was the best for my needs, I
just replaced the ROM by EPROMS including a special version of TOS.

Friends very early used UNIX at work and DR DOS and Linux at home and
they started with different commodore and Atari computers too, very
popular were the hardware QL emulators, a friend sold them. A few people
I know used some other computers.

It's not that I was against Windows, but I didn't have the money to get
a PC with Windows and I needed the computer as sequencer that could be
synced to the analog recorders I used that time.