[xubuntu-users] Printer query

Neil Winchurst neilwin at drofle.co.uk
Sun May 19 08:01:24 UTC 2013

On 18/05/13 20:34, Peter Flynn wrote:
> I was under the impression that SMB (samba) was what CUPS used to share printers (if by "share" you mean "share like a windows printer share", where the existence of the printer gets broadcast to the local network.)  However, (a) I may just be wrong, and (b) the fact that your laptops seemed to find or at least know about the printer would indicate that SMB may not be needed for whatever method of sharing you are using. I've never used CUPS without smbd, so I may have a skewed view of things. But I do remember some years ago being surprised that smb was not installed with CUPS when it seemed to need it to function.
>
> ///Peter

I have never thought this. I have always thought that Samba was used for
sharing with a Windows machine. Since I have not had anything to do with
Windows since 1998 I have never bothered with samba. As far as I know it
has never been installed on any of my (Linux) computers. Unless of
course it is installed automatically at original installation.

Neil