[xubuntu-users] 3.5 floppy drive (internal or usb) and PLoP

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 17:26:41 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:40 PM, Bruno Benitez <gridcube at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi James, please check this
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/168597/how-do-i-use-a-floppy-drive-in-ubuntu
>
> the settings should be the same, except xubuntu uses thunar instead of
> nautilus, so disregard that part.

I had seen that but i am not as IT knowledgeable as i'd like to be
although i am a mechanical engineering graduate so i like to think i
have a bit of initiative.

The machine i tried it on is my 2nd pc an emachines 820; 2.6 ghz,
1kram (5-6 years old but able enough for xubuntu), and has it's
factory XP installation dual booted with xubuntu. It has a 3.5 floppy
internal and card reader. XP reads all drives ok and formats the 3.5
internal and the 3.5 remote ok. I did once find a 3.5 internal that
was faulty but i think it's fair to say on this machine it is fine.

Trying to research into this issue i notice with Mageia one doesn't
have to use unetbootin which brings me back to the question asked
previously why with *buntu is one to use unetbootin. I don't
understand why if like i am invisaging i will need to use PLoP for
booting.

Anyhow regarding that link. here's my dmesg.log
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw6NbRx_iqywT1NsbGZXTnFVbk0/edit?usp=sharing

I put it in leafpad and line 603 one has (long file!!!)
[1.455887] Floppy Drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M

So unlike the link it would seem it can find it.

thanks
james