[xubuntu-users] 2014 Rolling release?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jan 28 23:49:07 UTC 2013

Community support

I disagree, the best Wikis can be found for Arch Linux, so regarding to
the community support IMO Arch Linux is the best distro. Apart from Wikis
all major distros have good mailing lists.

Hardware support

Regarding to firmware I agree, some other major distros might have equal
good support. I don't know the state of Fedora and Suse.

Software support

I disagree, regarding to software there are other major distros that
provide as much software as Ubuntu does, but while for Ubuntu many
packages are borked, they are ok for many other distros.

For example, when did fit the rtirq script the last time to the
kernel-lowlatency? I can't remember it, they usually don't fit. Sometimes
packages are incomplete, e.g. Jack 2 for Precise is missing the
rawalsamidi switch.
Especially for Quantal many apps are broken, e.g. Evolution is a PITA.

Ubuntu force for at least GNOME to install PA as a hard dependency,
instead of providing a gnome-settings-daemon package with pulseaudio
disabled or at least a dummy package. PA brakes audio for many users.

And there's no "YMMV", this are facts.

My machine is a *NIX multiboot. I'm not fixed to a distro. I've got
several Linux installs and one FreeBSD install.