[xubuntu-users] Connection issue with Sprint 4G Mobile Hotspot

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 08:41:02 UTC 2013

On 12/31/2012 10:09 AM, theuteck at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, December 30, 2012 02:21:38 PM Charles Collins wrote:
>
> I am a new convert from Microsoft Windows, and have 12:10 Xubuntu installed.
>

> The problem is with the wi-fi connection to our 4G Sprint Mobile
> Hotspot.  Sometimes it works fine, but most of the time I get a screen
> when attempting to access a web page that says:  This Web Page is not
> Available.  The server at www.xxxxxxxx.com <http://www.xxxxxxxx.com>
> can't be found because the DNS look-up failed.  And it continues with
> suggestions which I have tried.  A friend helped me do the conversion
> from Windows, and is pretty adept at finding his way around, but this
> has him stumped as well.
>
> The wireless connection shows to be fine, and the whole time I'm having
> this trouble, my wife is surfing without any problems on her computer
> that uses Windows.
>
> While far from being an expert, I do have some basic understanding.  So
> if you can make suggestions in laymans terms, it would be greatly
> appreciated.
Worse comes to worse, you can try this....

open a terminal
cd /etc
type: more resolv.conf
It should contain what Network Mangler sees as your name server IP
addresses. If it's empty, there you go! If you're feeling froggy then
use an editor as root (sudo gedit resolv.conf) and just add your correct
nameserver addresses. Here's mine:
ric at iam:/opt$ more resolv.conf
nameserver 67.142.165.10
nameserver 67.142.165.11

Just plugin your correct addresses supplied by your ISP. Sometimes you
have to get it's attention ...with a shovel.

Make a backup of your existing file first, just in case.
sudo cp resolv.conf resolv.conf.old

You can always copy it back. I loathe Network Manager (Mangler) :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html