[xubuntu-users] What is the recommended way to update to 13:04 from 12:10

Tim tim at xendistar.co.uk
Sun Apr 28 17:31:10 UTC 2013

On 28/04/13 14:28, Andy Proctor wrote:
> On 28/04/13 14:16, Anthony Papillion wrote:
>> On 04/28/2013 08:02 AM, Tim wrote:
>>> Afternoon all
>>>
>>> As the title says really, what is the recommended way to update??
>> While I can't remember what the officially recommended way to update is,
>> I've often found a complete wipe and install of the new version to be
>> the most reliable. When I've done an in-place upgrade, I've often had
>> problems up to and including the OS simply refusing to boot. I've not
>> run in to any of those problems by wiping away the old before doing a
>> fresh install.
>>
>> Anthony
>>
> Today I just performed a simple distribution upgrade 12.10->13.04
> using the gui and all went well. previously I upgraded to 12.10 from
> 12.04 from the command line "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade". I have my
> software manager set to notify me of any new versions and I used this
> notification to upgrade. Both ways went well. Prior to 12.04 I fresh
> installed each time, the upgrade method takes a fraction of the time
> and both my systems I just started the upgrade process and let it run,
> without issues. A fresh install, I agree with Anthony will start anew
> but I didn't want the hassle (not that there is much) of a clean install.
>
> Don't forget to backup, whichever route.
>
> HTH
>
> Andy

Well I have just upgraded via Software manager and I am still here.
Everything seems to be working but only time will tell. I may well
install fresh on the next version as I believe that that is supposed to
be a bit of a step forward as opposed to this release which was
described as a maintenance fix.

Thanks for the info guys

Tim