[xubuntu-users] What is the recommended way to update to 13:04 from 12:10

Andy Proctor xubuntu.list at gpshelp.co.uk
Sun Apr 28 13:28:23 UTC 2013

On 28/04/13 14:16, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> On 04/28/2013 08:02 AM, Tim wrote:
>> Afternoon all
>>
>> As the title says really, what is the recommended way to update??
> While I can't remember what the officially recommended way to update is,
> I've often found a complete wipe and install of the new version to be
> the most reliable. When I've done an in-place upgrade, I've often had
> problems up to and including the OS simply refusing to boot. I've not
> run in to any of those problems by wiping away the old before doing a
> fresh install.
>
> Anthony

Today I just performed a simple distribution upgrade 12.10->13.04 using
the gui and all went well. previously I upgraded to 12.10 from 12.04
from the command line "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade". I have my software
manager set to notify me of any new versions and I used this
notification to upgrade. Both ways went well. Prior to 12.04 I fresh
installed each time, the upgrade method takes a fraction of the time and
both my systems I just started the upgrade process and let it run,
without issues. A fresh install, I agree with Anthony will start anew
but I didn't want the hassle (not that there is much) of a clean install.

Don't forget to backup, whichever route.

HTH

Andy