[xubuntu-users] LoCo Events?

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 7 20:26:49 UTC 2013

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Anthony Papillion <anthony at papillion.me> wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> So I'm a member of my (completely dead) Ubuntu LoCo here in Oklahoma.
> I'm wondering if anyone out there is doing XUbuntu focused LoCo events?
> Any tips, tricks, ideas?
>
> Specifically, I'm wanting to expose people in my area (very rural,
> generally low income) to XUbuntu as a way to make their old hardware
> stretch a bit further.
>
> Thoughts?

I've done a couple things:

1. Presenting on Xubuntu at Linux Users Group, I shared slides and
details here: http://princessleia.com/journal/?p=6458 Anyone is
welcome to use my slides (they're CC-BY-SA licensed but I'll wave
attribution if you ask and need/want)

2. Hosted a couple Ubuntu Global Jams based around testing Ubuntu and
Xubuntu daily images. Back in September I hosted one with the
California team, we used the testing tracker at
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/ which includes Xubuntu iso testing stuff,
details of what I had are here:
http://princessleia.com/journal/?p=6713 The Xubuntu stuff has changed
since we've moved things into the tracker rather than having separate
"short" and "long" tests from the wiki, but it gives a decent overview
of materials you may need for such an event. So we had both Ubuntu and
Xubuntu isos to test.

I've also ordered stickers from moo.com to give out to events,
specific instructions to make some are here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Marketing/Products#Stickers
(unfortunately since we're all volunteers we don't have a centralized
way to buy these and send them to people for free, so we ask folks to
make their own)

Hope this helps :)

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2