[xubuntu-users] Chrome does not like existing Java JVM

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 22:08:53 UTC 2012

I've got a fresh install of Xubuntu 12.04.1, and a desire to run the applet
at http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/games/rect.html (it plays the game of Chomp
with you).

In firefox, it had to load a plugin.  No sweat, it uses the
icedtea-7-plugin package from the repo.
In chrome, it wanted to load not only a plugin, but it wanted to load the
Oracle JVM, from Oracle; I escaped when it opened 4 tabs of advertisements
and offered to give me McAfee malware tools.

I don't really want two JVMs just to play this game.  I don't want to be
pestered with ads and Windows software.

Is there a sane way to run applets in Chrome?

--
Kevin O'Gorman