[xubuntu-users] How to keep notifications from stealing focus

Chuck Bearden cfbearden at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 21:50:36 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'm running Xubuntu 11.10.

Focus-relevant settings:
  * Focus follows mouse
  * Automatically give focus to newly created windows
  * Activate focus stealing prevention
  * deactivated: Honor standard ICCCM focus hint
  * deactivated: Automatically raise windows when they receive focus

This works nicely for me until a notification pops up. It seems that
they are being treated like windows, because they steal the focus. If
the notification includes a keyboard-driven action (as Pidgin
notifications do), then unless I stop typing on a dime, the action is
activated (e.g. a Pidgin chat window for the person who just logged on
to IM is opened).

Is there any way to keep new notifications from stealing the focus?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Chuck