[xubuntu-users] Libre Office spell check

Atherton sharonww at bigpond.com
Sun Jul 22 00:56:11 UTC 2012

On 21/07/12 21:11, Joshua O'Leary wrote:
> On 21/07/12 09:08, Neil Winchurst wrote:

>>> I also had problems after I downloaded and installed a British English
>>> dictionary from Libre Office
>>> [KPP-british-english-dictioonary-217K-word-list.oxt]. The default
>>> dictionary in LibreOffice appears to be US English. After this
>>> installation, trying to use a UK dictionary to 'correct' US spelling
>>> [eg
>>> -or/-our and -ise/-ize words] resulted in every word being
>>> underlined as
>>> incorrect and gave weird suggestions for simple words like "the".
>>> Fixed
>>> problem by going to Settings - Language Support in Xubuntu and using
>>> Language - Install/Remove languages [there is a help file] - ended up
>>> with Australian -British - and US English dictionaries that I could
>>> use.
>>> (Don't know where these came from). Set English (Australia) as default
>>> Western language for documents in Tools > Options > Language Settings >
>>> Languages, and, in Writing Aids clicked Edit for Available Language
>>> modules and set English (Australia) as preferred language for Spelling.
>>> As I remember in also became the default for Hunspell Spellchecker,
>>> Grammar, Hyphenation, Thesaurus and OpenOffice.org New Thesaurus.
>>>
>>> Atherton
>>>
>> Thanks to both. This is on my daughter's new laptop which I have just
>> bought her for her birthday, so I will check all this when I can. The
>> symptoms are,
>>
>> I have set it up to check spelling as I type. It doesn't. If I press F7
>> to force a check I get a window up looking like a normal spell check
>> winkdow. Superimposed on that is a smaller message window saying that
>> the spell check is complete. It hasn't actually checked anything.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Neil
>>
> Chances are you probably haven't even installed any dictionaries. Make
> sure aspell-<language> is installed - probably aspell-en.

The symptoms that Neil describes of the appearance of a 'normal
spell-checker window with a message that spell check is complete' is
what I got if I attempted to use English (UK) spell checker [before I
complicated things by downloading
(KPP-british-english-dictioonary-217K-word-list.oxt)].
At the top of the spell-checker window at Text language the open slot
had no language listed.

Spellchecker worked OK with English (US) which I had set as the default
Western language for documents in Tools > Options > Language Settings >
Languages. I was never able to get UK spell-checker to work by changes
to Languages or in Writing Aids until I used Language Support in
Xubuntu. I suspect it had something to do with getting the correct info
in "Locale" - see 'Wiki -Ubuntu Documentation Locale' - but maybe not?

In LibreOffice Writer, at > Tools > Language > For Paragraph, Text etc >
will list Languages when there is no dictionary for that language if one
has set such a language thru Tools > Options > Language Settings >
Languages as the default Western languages for Documents - the setting
will NOT have an abc blue tick before it - indicating that no such
dictionary is installed. I suspect in your case it is set to English
(UK) and doesn't have the blue tick.