[xubuntu-users] ATI Binary Driver problem (was: Xscreensaver oddity)

Pete Flugstad pete.flugstad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 12:53:06 UTC 2012

MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at ...> writes:
> He was watching a video online and every ten minutes xscreensaver cut
> in (as configured).  When he moved the mouse to recover the screen, it
> blacked out with some white spots.  ...
>
> Then he went into xscreensaver to adjust the configuration not to come
> on every 10 minutes, and it hung the machine.

Ahhh, I remember now - I was hitting this same problem with my kids login
and that's why I went away from the  binary driver in the first place.
And it was a hard hang.

OK - time to figure out if the open source driver is functional.

To answer your other question, X.org seems to FALL BACK to the VESA
driver if it doesn't have any other driver.  So I'm guessing if you
UNinstall the fglrx driver, that will probably do it.  Check
/var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what happens.  WARNING: performance is
POOR.  As in, HD videos won't play, don't expect to do any gaming,
etc.  That's why I installed the binary driver again a few days ago.

Pete