[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu 11.10 booting problem

Joshua O'Leary joshua.oleary at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 21 16:30:17 UTC 2012

On 18/02/12 19:54, Keith Powell wrote:
> I am running 11.10 inside Windows7, using WUBI.
>
> When I boot Xubuntu, it starts to boot and then stops with the message:
>
> Input Signal Out of Range. Changing to 1600x900 @ 60Hz.
>
> This is the resolution of my monitor. Booting stops for about 30
> seconds, then completes. When running, the display shows that it is,
> indeed, the correct resolution.
>
> I don't get this problem when running it as a live CD.
>
> It's not vital, but is just a nuisence and I don't want it to occur
> when I do a proper install of Xubuntu in a week or so time.
>
> Can anyone help, please, or would it be better to wait a couple of
> months, continuing running it in Windows, until 12.04 comes out and
> see if that is OK.
>
> I've not seen this problem raised before on the list, and it didn't
> happen when I tried Ubuntu or Mint.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Keith

Hi,
What graphics card/chipset do you have (give the output of lspci if you
are not sure). You could try creating an xorg.conf file
(/etc/X11/xorg.conf), and specifying graphics settings there manually.
You can find more information on this in the manual page (man xorg.conf).

Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier     "Layout0"
     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
     Load           "glx"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
     Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier     "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier     "Monitor0"
     VendorName     "Unknown"
     ModelName      "CRT-1"
     HorizSync       28.0 - 55.0
     VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier     "Device0"
     Driver         "driver goes here"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier     "Default Screen"
     Device         "Configured Video Device"
     Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
     DefaultDepth    24
     SubSection     "Display"
         Depth       24
         Modes      "1920x1080" "1280x720" "1024x768" "720x480" "800x600" "640x480"
     EndSubSection
EndSection

This is of course an example, and a configuration file for your graphics
card is probably very different. Hope this may be of some help.

Joshua