[xubuntu-users] Are there any Xubuntu users here?

Albert Wagner albertwagner at cox.net
Tue May 3 15:45:07 UTC 2011

On 05/03/2011 07:57 AM, ross smith wrote:
> I would expect find apps that fit the spirit of the derivative.

I haven't encountered that phrase before: "the spirit of the derivative".
What would you say is "the spirit" of Ubuntu?  Hardly lightweight, being
a full blown Gnome distribution.  Unity is not lightweight either.

<snip>

>  Xubuntu, and Xfce4 are both based around the idea of a lightweight
> but fully featured desktop.

It certainly seems so.  But certainly not in  "the spirit of" Ubuntu.
Why did they bother to call it Xubuntu and yet leave out everything
remotely like Ubuntu?

>  The apps I would expect to be included with xubuntu are lighter
> alternatives to those in ubuntu.

I would certainly expect "lighter alternatives" if Xfce sat on top of a
CLI based derivative, but I repeat:  Why did they bother to call it
Xubuntu and yet leave out everything remotely like Ubuntu?