[xubuntu-users] Text email clients--Mutt, Alpine, Cone--anyone use them?

James Freer jessejazza3 at aol.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 09:35:39 UTC 2011

I've just been installing the above three to try out. Mutt and Alpine
fine, but Cone i can't get the smtp bit right. I've contacted the
developer on the Cone list who just replies with very brief ambiguous
replies. It can't be much different from Alpine but so far can't get it
to go. To use Cone it seems one is expected to be a mind reader. I
doubt if it's better than alpine but it would be nice to give it a go.

I've got Alpine to work but setting 'Roles' for mail i'm still not 100%
sorted. I never thought text email clients were worth bothering with...
once i'd got Alpine going i could see why... speed. I find Thunderbird
and Evolution too slow for large amounts of mail.

Anyone really know the 'ins and outs' of email [oops on the witty side
this morning!].

--james