[xubuntu-users] Text email clients--Mutt, Alpine, Cone--anyone use them?

kelly kelly at chiefsez.com
Fri Aug 12 20:23:04 UTC 2011

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 05:35:39 -0400 (EDT)
James Freer <jessejazza3 at aol.co.uk> wrote:

> I've just been installing the above three to try out. Mutt and Alpine
> fine, but Cone i can't get the smtp bit right. I've contacted the
> developer on the Cone list who just replies with very brief ambiguous
> replies. It can't be much different from Alpine but so far can't get
> it to go. To use Cone it seems one is expected to be a mind reader. I
> doubt if it's better than alpine but it would be nice to give it a go.
>
> I've got Alpine to work but setting 'Roles' for mail i'm still not
> 100% sorted. I never thought text email clients were worth bothering
> with... once i'd got Alpine going i could see why... speed. I find
> Thunderbird and Evolution too slow for large amounts of mail.
>
> Anyone really know the 'ins and outs' of email [oops on the witty
> side this morning!].
>
> --james

I use Alpine also.  Fast as a thief it is.  I've never attempted to
setup 'Roles', sorry I cannot help with that.

What is missing in Alpine is an 'official' plugin to allow the use of
encryption.  At least I've been unable to find one.  Hence, if someone
knows of one ... please let me know.

If you want a very fast yet light weight graphical e-mail client --
Claws (http://www.claws-mail.org/) is the answer.  It is the e-mail
client I use instead of Alpine for this one reason -- encryption.

Try Claws, I believe it is far better than Thunderbird or Evolution.

Speaking of that and Xubuntu being a 'light' derivative of Ubuntu --
why not not drop Thunderbird (like a bad habit) and use Claws instead?

--
krp
0x8BCBFAB0