[xubuntu-users] Official or Not?

Steffen Schwarz steffen.schwarz at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 15:13:15 UTC 2011

--- On Fri, 5/8/11, ross smith <gaurdro at gmail.com> wrote:

From: ross smith <gaurdro at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [xubuntu-users] Official or Not?
To: dixiedancer at gmail.com, "Xubuntu Help and User Discussions" <xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Date: Friday, 5 August, 2011, 15:03

> I always stick with the LTS releases because I have only one computer and
> it's "mission-critical!" I wish I had the time and resources and a spare
> computer to help test the new versions and contribute to the project in more
> substantial ways than just the fanboy stuff I write in my blog and on the
> forums.

You can always set up a virtual machine via VirtualBox[1] or VMWare to
test new software.  :)  You get to play with new things (at a cost of
performance) without messing up your main computer.  IIRC VirtualBox
is already in the ubuntu repos.

This has been an incredibly interesting and insightful discussion so far, thanks for that!
Does that mean I can run Windows using VirtualBox inside Xubuntu to use the two or three applications I rely on that don't work on Linux as opposed to the dual boot approach? Would that be a better way of doing things?
-Ross

[1] http://www.virtualbox.org/