[xubuntu-users] Dang display manager related pop-up boot message...???

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat Jul 24 08:14:30 UTC 2010

It would appear that on Jul 23, Tim Henderson did say:

> > [snip]
> >
> > What do I gotta do to ditch this annoying pop-up? And boot directly to
> > console login????
> >

> Sorry for all the replies Joe, but I finally got to test this and get
> the answer 100% right!
>
> Ubuntu/Xubuntu runs by default on runlevel 2 (which is odd), so runlevel
> 2-5 are all identical (even more odd).
>
> Since 9.04, the last time they used the gdm in the rc#.d files (which is
> what you updated previously) Ubuntu seems to have changed how gdm
> starts.  You could just remove the script to prevent it from
> starting...no more.
>
> To change this now, you can change the run level for which to *not*
> start gdm.  Here's how:  (other variants apply fwiw)
>
> /etc/init/gdm.conf
>
> stop on runlevel [016]
> ..should be...
> stop on runlevel [0136]
>
> Now we change the run level to 3:
>
> /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf
>
> env DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL=2
> ...should be...
> env DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL=3
>
> Now gdm will not start on 0, 1, 3, and 6 (halt, single user, level 3,
> and reboot respectively).  Xubuntu will run on level 3 instead of 2 for
> now on.
>
> Feel free to alter the script as you wish.  You could make gmd *only*
> start on level 5 for instance.  Regardless, this works :)

Well that feels cleaner than editing /etc/X11/default-display-manager to
say fubar... But the result is about the same. I wind up looking at the
last bit of boot screen messages just prior to tty1 through tty6 getting
login prompts. (which they do.) But the focus doesn't switch to one of
them. Then after I run startx, if I switch to a console via
<ctrl>+<alt>+<F[1-6]> if I then do a <alt>+<F7> I still see that last bit
of the boot messages. to get back to X I now do a <alt>+<F8> instead.

While I'd prefer that the focus switched to tty1 by itself like it used to,
but it is NOT a problem. And I will get used to selecting the tty in which
I wish to login... Plus this method feels so much cleaner than that fubar
kludge...

Thanks again!