[xubuntu-users] New to Xubuntu: but I'm a startx user. how do I ditch the gui login???

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat Feb 20 13:19:29 UTC 2010

It would appear that on Feb 19, Arthur Johnson did say:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp at ttlc.net> wrote:

> >> sudo apt-get remove gdm
> >
> > Hmmnnn. Well that sounds like a rather severe method that should certainly
> > work... I didn't think to try it because I wasn't sure what might have gdm
> > as a listed dependency, but if I remember right, any time apt-get wants to
> > remove more than one package it gives me a chance to say "no" so I guess
> > I'll try it...
> Xubuntu really needs to switch to SLiM when Lucid drops.  GDM is
> wicked heavy now, it even loads metacity, session stuff, and other
> desktop applications, just for a login screen!  I find that pretty
> unacceptable.  And if you don't have GNOME installed it will interfere
> with mouse operations after login, which I discovered when trying to
> install GDM on a cli only Ubuntu with just XFCE installed.
>
> If you ditch the display manager, your going to run into policy kit
> problems.  You can edit the policy kit files in
> /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/, I'm not sure if there is a GUI for that.

Ummmnnn would you believe I'm not even sure what policy kit does...
I dang sure wouldn't know how to edit the files I just peeked at there.

So hopefully none of the problems you mention ever bite me in the backside.
Cause I wouldn't even know it was a "policy kit" problem...

> Personally I just switched to SLiM and was happy.  You can install it
> on Karmic via:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stemp/xfce
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install slim

Well, thanks for the suggestion, but there are some applications that I
pre-feed to my enlightenment sessions via the .xinitrc file... If I
selected the desktop from a "display manager" I won't get to do that.
(yeah I know E has a method to remember selected "windows" But there are
a few applications I use that E doesn't offer the opportunity to start
them on login. But if I spoon feed them via .xinitrc, it can recognize
them and relocate them to my preselected workspace etc...)

Besides one of the things on my list is to figure out how to get xubuntu to
stop hiding the boot messages (some of them don't make it to dmesg. And I
really don't want ANYTHING gui before I'm ready for it. Especially a gui
login prompt. So fortunately, "apt-get remove gdm" worked...

> If you have multiple desktops and WMs installed, you may want to set
> your default environment:
> sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

> SLiM is configurable via /etc/slim.conf including default user and autologin.

The console 'is' my default environment... And I've got a little wrapper
script for startx.

I type:

$ xdo e17

And it copies my xinitrc-e17 file to .xinitrc and calls startx...

I type

$ xdo x

And it copies the xinitrc-xfce file instead...

What do I need a "display manager" for???

But thanks for the suggestion. And the heads up about that policy kit
thingy.