[xubuntu-users] New to Xubuntu: but I'm a startx user. how do I ditch the gui login???

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Fri Feb 19 15:13:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:03:29 -0500
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" <jtwdyp at ttlc.net> wrote:

> It would appear that on Feb 19, Pasi Lallinaho did say:
>
> > Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
>
> -snipped. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .stuff
>

> > > So like I said in the Subject: line...  how do I ditch the gui login???
> > >
> > sudo apt-get remove gdm
>
> Hmmnnn. Well that sounds like a rather severe method that should certainly
> work... I didn't think to try it because I wasn't sure what might have gdm
> as a listed dependency, but if I remember right, any time apt-get wants to
> remove more than one package it gives me a chance to say "no" so I guess
> I'll try it... Though, if Xubuntu DOES use gdm, I can't figure why:
>
> update-rc.d -f gdm remove
> update-rc.d gdm stop 20 2 3 4 5 .
>
> didn't work... It is a *buntu distribution right?
>
> He said as he shook his head and started to load the bigger guns...
> {"apt-get remove $X" IS a bigger gun than "update-rc.d -f $X remove". Isn't it?}
>
> Thanks

The gdm login manager is a complete rewrite compared to the
version in earlier Ubuntu releases. This, along with other changes
including HAL being deprecated, changed how a lot of things start. A
look at /etc/init.d will show many links to /lib/init/upstart-job now.
With the use of Upstart, many apps use a startup file in /etc/init.
This has a big impact on what will work now compared to what used to
work.

As linux switches to Upstart (it is not just Ubuntu), the old startup
methods will be phased out completely.

--
Charlie Kravetz