[xubuntu-users] New to Xubuntu: but I'm a startx user. how do I ditch the gui login???

Lionel Le Folgoc mrpouit at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 19 19:11:31 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 09:21:36AM -0500, Arthur Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp at ttlc.net> wrote:
>
> Xubuntu really needs to switch to SLiM when Lucid drops.  GDM is

Slim doesn't support .desktop session files in /usr/share/xsessions,
only sessions hardcoded in slim.conf, and always defaults to 'default'
session instead of the previous selected one (e.g. 'startxfce4'), which
can create inconsistencies with custom XDG dirs… It may also have issue
with <whatever>kit (probably consolekit, as I'm not sure it uses
ck-launch-session). So the switch to slim is rather unlikely to happen
(maybe lxdm when it'll be less hacky).

> wicked heavy now, it even loads metacity, session stuff, and other
> desktop applications, just for a login screen!  I find that pretty

It will work fine if they are not installed. You can even use this gdm
with xfce4-settings, xfwm4 and xfce4-power-manager instead (that's what
Xubuntu does in karmic).

> unacceptable.  And if you don't have GNOME installed it will interfere
> with mouse operations after login, which I discovered when trying to
> install GDM on a cli only Ubuntu with just XFCE installed.

How so? I don't see any bug report related to that for Xubuntu (and I
don't have any mouse issue without Gnome).

Cheers,
Lionel

--
Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit
E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33  F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A