[xubuntu-users] New to Xubuntu: but I'm a startx user. how do I ditch the gui login???

Arthur Johnson arthur.johnson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 14:21:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp at ttlc.net> wrote:

> It would appear that on Feb 19, Pasi Lallinaho did say:
>
>> Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
>
> -snipped. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .stuff
>

>> > So like I said in the Subject: line...  how do I ditch the gui login???
>> >
>> sudo apt-get remove gdm
>
> Hmmnnn. Well that sounds like a rather severe method that should certainly
> work... I didn't think to try it because I wasn't sure what might have gdm
> as a listed dependency, but if I remember right, any time apt-get wants to
> remove more than one package it gives me a chance to say "no" so I guess
> I'll try it... Though, if Xubuntu DOES use gdm, I can't figure why:
>
> update-rc.d -f gdm remove
> update-rc.d gdm stop 20 2 3 4 5 .
>
> didn't work... It is a *buntu distribution right?
>
> He said as he shook his head and started to load the bigger guns...
> {"apt-get remove $X" IS a bigger gun than "update-rc.d -f $X remove". Isn't it?}
>
> Thanks

Xubuntu really needs to switch to SLiM when Lucid drops.  GDM is
wicked heavy now, it even loads metacity, session stuff, and other
desktop applications, just for a login screen!  I find that pretty
unacceptable.  And if you don't have GNOME installed it will interfere
with mouse operations after login, which I discovered when trying to
install GDM on a cli only Ubuntu with just XFCE installed.

If you ditch the display manager, your going to run into policy kit
problems.  You can edit the policy kit files in
/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/, I'm not sure if there is a GUI for that.

Personally I just switched to SLiM and was happy.  You can install it
on Karmic via:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stemp/xfce
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install slim

If you have multiple desktops and WMs installed, you may want to set
your default environment:

sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

SLiM is configurable via /etc/slim.conf including default user and autologin.