[xubuntu-users] From Kubuntu to Xubuntu but what's what?...

Fri Feb 19 15:16:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp at ttlc.net>wrote:

> It would appear that on Feb 19, David Collins did say:
>
> > Joe,
> >
> > Maybe you should try out Gnome Do.
> > I don't use it myself, but it sounds really good if you are
> keyboard-centric.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Do
>
> Thank you for the suggestion Dave. I'd never heard of "gnome do" before so
> I did a little scroogleing around and found:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GnomeDo Which said the page had moved to:
>
> http://do.davebsd.com/wiki/Main_Page
>
> This included a description of how it works, and had a screen shot or two.
> And while I'm glad to know something like this is out there it is
> definitely not for me...
>
> wiki said:
>
> => Unlike other search tools that present search results as flat,
> homogeneous lists,
> => Do provides familiar graphical depictions of search results that assure
> => you that your intent is being realized correctly;
>
> One of the reasons why I'm keyboard centric is because my brain is
> sort of text centric... That is I don't exactly think in words, but I
> certainly don't actually think in pictures. And while I depend heavily
> on menu choices because I can't remember the command and syntax of
> anything I don't do on a daily basis (call it CRS) I need labels not
> icons and pictorial references... {for example if I could still get a
> 5-day weather display to use text labels like "rain" instead of a gosh
> durned freaking picture of a cloud with falling raindrops and
> occasional lightning flashes I could still take in the data at a
> glance instead of having to stare at it for nearly a full minute
> until my brain finishes describing the pictures to itself so that I
> can finally start to read the actual text above and below...}
>
> => searching for "mom" will show a picture of mom, and searching for
> => "beatles" will show a Beatles album cover.
>
> Now that would ummnn "bug" me... I'd want a text only list that
> also included some "Entomology" choices and something about and old
> Volkswagen... But I wouldn't want a single picture or graphic icon until
> AFTER I made a selection...
>
> Still, I'm glad to know that someone still believes in keyboard
> input... And I might even suggest "gnome do" to some of my visually
> oriented friends...
>
> Thanks again for the suggestion...

It's really not that visually-centered. What I mostly use it for is to start
an application: I press Super+Space to summon GNOME Do, then I type the name
or function of the appliciation that I want to run (e.g. "web" to start
Firefox web browser - you don't need to type the full selection). It's
really easy for someone keyboard-centric like me. And it's not just limited
to launching applications, of course; I also use it e.g. to post a message
to Twitter. Super+Space, type my tweet, press tab and type "Tw" and enter.
Of course, you can just try it to find out if you like it and remove it if
not ;-)

--
Vincent