[xubuntu-users] From Kubuntu to Xubuntu but what's what?...

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Fri Feb 19 13:30:44 UTC 2010

It would appear that on Feb 19, David Collins did say:

> Joe,
>
> Maybe you should try out Gnome Do.
> I don't use it myself, but it sounds really good if you are keyboard-centric.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Do

Thank you for the suggestion Dave. I'd never heard of "gnome do" before so
I did a little scroogleing around and found:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GnomeDo Which said the page had moved to:

http://do.davebsd.com/wiki/Main_Page

This included a description of how it works, and had a screen shot or two.
And while I'm glad to know something like this is out there it is
definitely not for me...

wiki said:

=> Unlike other search tools that present search results as flat, homogeneous lists,
=> Do provides familiar graphical depictions of search results that assure
=> you that your intent is being realized correctly;

One of the reasons why I'm keyboard centric is because my brain is
sort of text centric... That is I don't exactly think in words, but I
certainly don't actually think in pictures. And while I depend heavily
on menu choices because I can't remember the command and syntax of
anything I don't do on a daily basis (call it CRS) I need labels not
icons and pictorial references... {for example if I could still get a
5-day weather display to use text labels like "rain" instead of a gosh
durned freaking picture of a cloud with falling raindrops and
occasional lightning flashes I could still take in the data at a
glance instead of having to stare at it for nearly a full minute
until my brain finishes describing the pictures to itself so that I
can finally start to read the actual text above and below...}

=> searching for "mom" will show a picture of mom, and searching for
=> "beatles" will show a Beatles album cover.

Now that would ummnn "bug" me... I'd want a text only list that
also included some "Entomology" choices and something about and old
Volkswagen... But I wouldn't want a single picture or graphic icon until
AFTER I made a selection...

Still, I'm glad to know that someone still believes in keyboard
input... And I might even suggest "gnome do" to some of my visually
oriented friends...

Thanks again for the suggestion...

--
|				      ---   ---
|     Joe (theWordy) Philbrook	      <o>   <o>
|	   J(tWdy)P			  ^
|	<<jtwdyp at ttlc.net>>		/---\	"bla bla bla..."

   At least I know my mouth is running, I just can't find the off button!