[xubuntu-users] Hi, Newbie Here

David Collins david.8.collins at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 23:05:08 UTC 2009

Hello, Robin.

I'm not very qualified, but I can tell you my experience.  I started
with Feisty Ubuntu (7.10) a bit over 2 years ago.  I was disappointed
with how 'laggy' it was - that is the lag when starting programs,
clicking on menus, etc.  So then I tried Xubuntu and it was responsive
and nice and simple.  I have been using Xubuntu ever since and haven't
looked back - and I have checked out lots of other Linux flavours.
With Jaunty there was an improvement in speed, particularly boot up
time, so I think it might be faster now than it was 2 years ago?
Regarding bloat - the way I see it is - there are as many useful
applications installed with Xubuntu as can fit on a CD - GIMP, Open
Office, etc. - but these only bloat the disk - and you can uninstall
them if you want to, but I doubt that many people do.

When you do install Xubuntu, check out all the panel applets - and go
to the 'XFCE Goodies' site - these are one of the best things about
XFCE.

Regards,
David