[xubuntu-users] Hi, Newbie Here

Robin dixiedancer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 21:38:08 UTC 2009

Hi!

I'm a noob. Relatively, anyway. Started with Ubuntu in March of this
year. Tried Crunchbang and it's awesome, but not especially
kid-friendly. Played with LXDE for a bit, but it's really buggy and I'm
getting tired of the hassle. It's pretty and kid-friendly, but it
frustrates me no end with all the little annoying bugs, so I thought I
would check out Xfce, and since Ubuntu is where I started, Xubuntu might
be the easiest way to do that. I'll install it as soon as Xubuntu Karmic
comes out. But I have some pointed noob questions which I'm sure you
have heard before.  The closest things to my questions in the archives
are pretty old now, so maybe alot has changed.

First question: IMPLEMENTATION seems to be an issue I've read alot
about. Over and over again in forums and blogs I have read stuff like this:

"KDE is great, but Kubuntu sucks," and "Xfce is great, but Xubuntu sucks
(is 'bloated,' etc)."

With KDE I can kinda sorta understand it. On PCLinuxOS, KDE was
magnificent, but reeeeeeally slow on my poor old 'puter. But Kubuntu was
horrible! It had better hardware detection, but it was maddeningly slow
and buggy (even buggier than LXDE has been). I haven't tried Xubuntu yet
(waiting for Karmic), but where do all the complaints about "bloat" come
from? It's Ubuntu after all, so it's bound to be "bloated" in that
Ubuntu tries to be all things to all users. But no one complains that
Ubuntu is bloated! Is it just that the people who are complaining
expected something OTHER than Ubuntu with Xfce? Or is the
*implementation* of Xfce in Xubuntu comparable to KDE's implementation
in Kubuntu?

Second question: Has there been any effort to "lighten up" Xubuntu to
appease its critics (even though their criticisms may be unfair)? Ubuntu
ran okay on my older 'puter, but I'm told by some people that Xubuntu is
alot faster. And I'm told by others that it's just as slow as Ubuntu!
That would really be okay with me I guess (because it isn't Gnome and
hopefully won't be as aggravating as LXDE has been). But now I don't
know what to expect, and I'd like my expectations to be more realistic
than they were with my LXDE experience. Grrr.

Third: I've just learned yesterday that Xubuntu is not a Canonical
product, but a "community distro." I was shocked! Lubuntu is supposed to
be a Canonical project just like Kubuntu and Ubuntu are. Why not
Xubuntu? What's the difference?

I hope I haven't ruffled any feathers or brought up anything unpleasant
with that last question (or the others either I guess), but it looks to
a noob, looking in from the outside, as though Xubuntu is being "dissed"
or something. I'd just like to know why.

I can't wait to try Xubuntu! I'll have to wait for the CD though because
I have bandwidth issues here. But I'm anxious to learn, and to hopefully
rid my kid-friendly 'buntu of these stupid LXDE bugs!

Thanks very much in advance!

Robin
(dixiedancer on UF)