[xubuntu-users] old laptop (was: Re: (no subject))

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Wed Mar 18 18:16:10 UTC 2009

Chris Ross wrote:
> I have the following hardware
> Sony Picturebook PCG-C1XD
> Pentium II 400 MHz
> 128 MB Ram
> 10Gb HDD
> USB floppy
> PCMCIA CD Drive
> Display adapter Neomagic Magicmedia 256AV

Either you will be able to upgrade the Ram to at least 256GB and then
use Xubuntu or even better something lighter like
openbox or icewm.
When DSL (damnsmall linux) fits your needs, then you might stay with 128mb.

Another possibility:
With 128mb (and more) you can run DSL fully from RAM and this will speed
up your machine to something that you would never beleive.

Lastly, if this is not possible my recommendation would be to simply use
win 98. In my experience, as much as I hate to say it, there is no Linux
that comes even near to the speed of win 98 on such a hardware. Not to
mention the speed of Office 97 on Win 9x against OpenOffice on Linux on
this hardware.

Again it is sad to say, but nevertehless it is true. If you will
carefully select your software you will even find modern
browser/mail/antivirus software for W98. It gets more rare any day, but
there still is good software, that you can use.

kind regards
Eberhard