[xubuntu-users] OpenGL installation in Ubuntu Linux PC

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Jul 3 08:47:42 UTC 2009

Srinivas Desamsetti wrote:
> What I need to install is
>
> (1) freeglut
> (2) freeglut-devel
> (3) mesa*
>
> These 3 packages for running my application which is of OpenGL based.

Open the synaptic package manager and click the "search" button. Search
for freeglut and you will find the packages freeglut3 and freeglut3-dev.
Right-click on those lines and mark them for installation. Then search
for mesa and mark the packages you need for installation. I don't know
exactly which packages you need but on my machine (9.04) I have these
packages installed: libgl1-mesa-dev, libgl1-mesa-dev, libgl1-mesa-glx,
libglu1-mesa, libglu1-mesa-dev, mesa-common-dev, mesa-utils. If you
install more packages than needed it is usually not critical unless you
have limitations on your download time or disk space. After marking the
packages for installation, click the "apply" button and synaptic will
download and install the selected packages.

Nils