[xubuntu-users] File Sharing

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Thu Oct 9 19:13:50 UTC 2008

Robert Brookes wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> Just a quick question from a very new Xubuntu user. I wish to share
> files between my pc which is running Ubuntu, and my laptop which is now
> running Xubuntu, and also connect to my FTP server (using a GUI file
> manager).  Normally, in Ubuntu, I would simply click [Places] or
> [Connect to Server] enter the details and presto - I'm connected etc.
> However, as Xubuntu is seemingly a little less extensive under the
> [Places] menu, I was hoping someone may be able to give me a quick steer
> as to how I should file share between systems (LAN), and connect to FTP
> with Xubuntu.
> Thanks in advance.
> Regards,
> Rob
>
> PS: I'm also pretty new to Linux too - not quite 12 months ago I took
> the plunge and flicked MS for good :).

Hey Rob,

In Xubuntu just click Applications/System/Shared Folders, unlock and add
a  directory, answer the questions regarding how you wish to share said
dir, and that should be that.

If you've got an FTP server up and running this should be a piece of cake.

Google 'ubuntu samba' for more in depth setup tutorials.

HTH,

Dave