[xubuntu-users] Video weirdness with strange Xorg behavior

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Mon Oct 6 14:22:35 UTC 2008

Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Andrew Kane <googoleyes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>      Hi everyone, sorry about the cross-post but I thought this might
>> be equally relevant to both groups, though perhaps not particularly
>> interesting to anyone but me.
>>      I finished building a new junk-box a couple of weeks ago- 1.1
>> GHz Athlon, 512 MB RAM, weird MSI mobo and ATI Radeon 9200. I can hear
>> some of you groaning at that last ;)
>>      In any case, after the initial install I attempted to install
>> fglrx from the repositories, not realizing that the 9200 is no longer
>> supported under that version. Of course it broke Xorg, so I had to do
>> a dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, in order to switch to the "ati"
>> driver. I did that from tty2 and removed the fglrx package immediately
>> afterwards, *before* restarting X. At this point I remembered that I'm
>> retarded, so I did the dpkg-reconfigure yaddayadda again and this time
>> it skipped the server section entirely- I went through all the usual
>> prompts about the keyboard, monitor, etc with no mention of the card.
>> Then I had a look at my /etc/Xorg.conf:
>>

>> Section "InputDevice"
>>        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>>        Driver          "kbd"
>>        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>>        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
>>        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>>        Driver          "mouse"
>>        Option          "CorePointer"
>>        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Monitor"
>>        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Screen"
>>        Identifier      "Default Screen"
>>        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
>>        Device          "Configured Video Device"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "ServerLayout"
>>        Identifier      "Default Layout"
>>        Screen          "Default Screen"
>> EndSection
>>

>>       ...and I said, "WTF?" (unabbreviated, of course:)
>>          I fail to understand how this file is useful for anything at
>> all. Have Xorg's settings for these "configured devices" moved
>> elsewhere in the system? Am I an idiot for not reading the release
>> notes, or a dotard for having read them and forgotten what they said?
>> Anyway, I still am not sure which driver is installed in the system.
>> The video works fine, glxgears reports about 250-350 FPS, OpenArena
>> works, etc. Does the ati driver support 3D acceleration? I'm happy to
>> have it but I was unaware that the driver provided it, and the
>> performance seems a little low compared to the 8500 LE I used to run
>> under fglrx back in the day.
>
> Nowadays, many basic configurations can run without any xorg.conf
> [...]
9200 imho is NOT supported by ATI Binary drivers for about two years
now, iirc,

You will surely get more from a Geforce 2 MX 400. The question remains,
if you need more with that CPU.

I would go with what your ATI offers and simply work without any
accelerated effects. After all, it is work this machine is for, I assume.

Kind regards
Eberhard