[xubuntu-users] How to view available wireless networks

Mon Oct 6 15:20:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:17 PM, leegold <leegold at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I will be installing the latest version on my laptop, the live disk
> option works very good so I want to do a full install. I have a few
> questions.
>
> How do I see a list of available wireless networks? I want to see all
> wireless networks in my area with network name, signal strength, and
> security used.  The adapter is Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN.
>
> What is the situation with screen savers? I don't think the
> functionality is fully implemented yet(?)
>
> I have heard there might be a problem with hard disk wear using laptops
> - it powers up/down too often. Has anyone heard about this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lee G.

You can just click the NetworkManager icon the top right-hand corner to get
a list of detected wireless networks with their signal strength and their
security (if your wireless card is properly detected, that is).
Alternatively, you can also view these statistics in the manual
configuration.

Screensaver should just work, though yesterday someone had to first add
"gnome-screensaver" to his autostarted applications - apparently it wasn't
started automatically.

I don't use a laptop so I wouldn't know about that :)

--
Vincent