[xubuntu-users] XFCE4 hangs after login but GNOME fixes it?

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Thu May 15 10:31:40 UTC 2008

On 2008-05-13, David Curtis wrote:

> Adam Funk wrote:
>> Since upgrading from gutsy to hardy, I've noticed that the XFCE4 login
>> often hangs after the gdm screen disappears but before the mouse
>> appears.  When this happens, I press Ctl-Alt-BS, log in using GNOME
>> (just for this session), log out, and log in to XFCE4 again --- and it
>> works.

> No, as I do not use Gnome. But a good place to start would be to read
> /var/log/xorg.0.log, /var/log/syslog, and /var/log/messages to look for
> any error messages coming from Xfdesktop, GDM or X itself.
>
> After the login/startup procedure hangs does a Ctl-Alt-F2 get you to a
> virtual terminal? If so this is when you want to read the above files as
> an X restart (Ctl-Alt-BS) would perhaps overwrite them.

GNOME was a red herring.  If I hit Ctl-Alt-BS and log in again using
XFCE4, it often works.  Does this ~/.xsession-errors explain anything?

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_GB.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
** Message: Another GPG agent already running

/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
Agent pid 21182

Thanks,
Adam