[xubuntu-users] XFCE4 hangs after login but GNOME fixes it?

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Tue May 13 02:57:41 UTC 2008

Adam Funk wrote:
> Since upgrading from gutsy to hardy, I've noticed that the XFCE4 login
> often hangs after the gdm screen disappears but before the mouse
> appears.  When this happens, I press Ctl-Alt-BS, log in using GNOME
> (just for this session), log out, and log in to XFCE4 again --- and it
> works.
>
> Any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it?

No, as I do not use Gnome. But a good place to start would be to read
/var/log/xorg.0.log, /var/log/syslog, and /var/log/messages to look for
any error messages coming from Xfdesktop, GDM or X itself.

After the login/startup procedure hangs does a Ctl-Alt-F2 get you to a
virtual terminal? If so this is when you want to read the above files as
an X restart (Ctl-Alt-BS) would perhaps overwrite them.

HTH,

Dave.