[xubuntu-users] Where are program files in Xubuntu ?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Dec 16 06:43:58 UTC 2008

leegold wrote:
> The problem is it wants me to browse to the executable file for eg. the
> Listen Music player or eg. totem. In XP I know they're in Program Files
> folder but in Linux I don't the slightest idea.

Most programs like music players are in "/usr/bin". Some command line
applications are in "/bin", "/usr/sbin" and "/sbin".

> What file extention or file type do look for?

There are no file extensions necessary to make a file executable. The file
permissions are used to decide that. The files in the above mentioned
directories are all executables.

Nils