[xubuntu-users] VNC client runs program, VNC host prompts for password!

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Mon Aug 25 07:55:02 BST 2008

Josh Rubin schrieb:
> I log into Xubuntu 8.04 and run tightvncserver - this is session :1.
>
> I then use Tightvncviewer to connect from a computer running windows XP
> Professional  This gives me a new session :2, which works fine for most
> things.
>
> When I run a program like Applications/System/Services that needs my
> password, the password prompt appears on session :1 of the host machine!
>
> This seems to kill my idea of using VNC to operate Ubuntu headless!
>
> This message over on ubuntuforums.org has an attachment with console
> transcripts, vnc logs, etc.

You might have better luck when you log on to your linux machine with
a different user-id, than the one that operates the local session.

Alternatively, if your local session is what you want to see on your
remote XP computer, I would suggest to use x11vnc instead of
tightvncserver.

This allows your vnc client to logon to the existing X session and
therefore it will solve your password troubles.

I use x11vnc regularly to support customers via the internet and it
works pretty well.

Kind regards
Eberhard

kind rgards