[xubuntu-users] Shutdown Hard Disks when Server Inactive?

David Collins db.collins at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 31 01:00:52 UTC 2008

Hello,

I would like to leave my Xubuntu PC/Server running 24 hours a day in my
home.  If I do this, then I would set up DNS, Squid and Apt-Cacher on it
and configure all the other PCs in the house to use these services.  I
would like to minimise power consumption, though, by turning of the
monitor (I can do this manually, of course) and also by turning off the
hard disks when they are not being actively used (which would amount to
more than 50% of the time).  The disks would then resume when a client
request was made to the server through the network.

This is quite different to the usual 'suspend' on a desktop PC that is
resumed by pressing a key or clicking the mouse.

Is this idea possible in Ubuntu/Linux ?

Regards,
David Collins