[xubuntu-users] First time xubuntu Setup attempt

Bob Salsburg infores at bellsouth.net
Mon May 14 14:39:00 UTC 2007

Downloaded 6.06.1 ISO and booted CD on iMac G3 400. Had to use live
video=ofonly to see anything past the initial kernel load.
It appears to be cranking along normally until I get:

Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely
that it is not setup correctly. Would you like to view the X server
output to diagnose the problem?
<Yes> <No>

Before either choice is made the lower half of the screen fills with
stuff like Last Login, version and date GNU info and one line, "bash:
no job control in this shell", followed by Admin, sudo, root
instructions.

This drive currently has Ubuntu 7.04 on it. It is too much of a hog for
this little Mac, so I am trying the lower resource Xubuntu.

iMac hardware is 384 mb Ram with 160 mb WD drive. It has successfully
ran Tiger and Tiger server, so the firmware is up-to-date.

Any thoughts or known issue? I am going to attempt to flatten the 7.04
installation to unpartitioned space.