[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu telling LCD backlight to turn off? (ancient Dell Inspiron 3000)

michael at michaelshiloh.com michael at michaelshiloh.com
Mon Feb 5 19:24:58 UTC 2007

I have Xubuntu on an ancient Dell Inspiron 3000. It was given to me as
"useless" because it can't run Windows, and in unknown state.

Of course it's happy, if a little slow at gimp, running our favorite.

Every so often the LCD backlight turns off.  I discovered that closing and
opening the lid fixed it, so I thought this was a loose wire and tore it
apart, but never found a loose wire. Then I noticed that it was suficient to
press and release the little button that detects when the lid is closed, for
the same result, meaning that it's a software issue and not hardware (I
think). When the lid is closed it goes into some kind of hibernation, from
which it awakens almost instantly (relative to a reboot).

I guess I need to find out what exactly is going on when the lid closes; I
don't know if it's triggering a Linux power change or hibernation mode event
or if the laptop firmware is handling that in the BIOS.

But is there any control for the backlight in Xubuntu?

Michael