Docs Meeting Update

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Thu May 14 08:19:50 UTC 2020

To be honest, English is the least of our worries here. It is the
source/primary language of the docs and I would argue anybody capable of
any of the English "translations" can read them all. Having different
"English" translations sounds weird to be to begin with.

But more importantly, this isn't about English. What about Russian,
French or Spanish? Those are languages that are used all over the world.
Using the Russian, French or Spanish flags to represent those languages
would be even more awkward IMO.

And what about Canadian French and Canadian English? If both had
translations, would they both show the Canadian flag? Wouldn't that make
the flag completely irrelevant? (And again, would a Canadian English
translation *really* differ from the source that much that it was worth
it to both "translate" it and keep maintaining the translation?)

TL;DR: (Any) flags (or combined flags) simply do not represent languages
well enough that it would be sensible to use them as representative
images, so please let's not.

Cheers,
Pasi

--