Docs Meeting Update

Yousuf Philips ypharis at gmail.com
Wed May 13 21:24:59 UTC 2020

At the sunday meeting we discussed potentially going with a half USA and
half UK flag[1], which is commonly used elsewhere, though as we have
'English (GB)' as one of the documentation languages, and its using the UK
flag, it doesn't seem that beneficial. Most people don't know the St George
flag, so using it as flag to represent English isn't beneficial. If we had
translations for 'English (CA)', 'French (CA)' and 'English (AU)', they
would have those countries flags.

[1]
http://www.lingualearnenglish.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/flag.jpg

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:17 PM Paul Sutton <zleap at disroot.org> wrote:

> On 07/05/2020 12:48, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
> > I don't know if the language names need "spicing up", but if you insist,
> > I guess you can look at introducing some kind of button style for the
> > language links, ideally matching our website looks (other parts of the
> > documentation follow our websites visual style as well).
> >
> > I acknowledge it's a common thing to use flags to represent languages,
> > but IMO, it's bad practice.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Pasi
> >
> > On 7.5.2020 13.08, Yousuf Philips wrote:
> >> The language names are present below the flags and just having their
> >> names on a blank page doesn't look appealing. Any thoughts of how to
> >> spice it up if we were to only use the language names.
> >>
> >> It is quite common for flags to be used as language representatives,
> >> like for example in the keyboard layouts panel plugin as alternative
> >> for language name abbreviations.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Yousuf
> >>
> >> On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 11:09 AM Pasi Lallinaho
> >> <pasi at shimmerproject.org <mailto:pasi at shimmerproject.org>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     My suggestion is to use the language names as they are
> >>     representative of languages. Or in other words, languages do not
> >>     have any sensible representative images, so I would not use any.
> >>
> >>     Cheers,
> >>     Pasi

> repo.

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oGNc4nDmUkhk67-S07VKhOQ7tSWXUW6ureG8N7SVM_o/edit#
> >>>>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Aj_Wdj9Uq62Ju0bvjhz15NVdaI_SaAMo8xqdU9s67YE/edit#
>

> I agree about not using flags,  if you're going to use flags, perhaps
> use the flag of St George to represent English.  Having the GB and US
> flags, we both speak English. what about Canada,  Australia and other
> countries where the first language is English.   But Canada is both
> French and English and regions are very protective of that part of their
> culture.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Paul

Regards,