phasing out of Synaptic?

Sean Davis smd.seandavis at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 11:10:28 UTC 2014

Hey Liviu,

We are indeed shipping Ubuntu Software Center instead of Synaptic in
Xubuntu.  We haven't had Synaptic in quite some time.  I've heard
reports that software center is a pain to use, but the search works
pretty well for most things.

Using the Software Center does not require a Launchpad account, but
signing in gives you the ability to sync packages across multiple
computers and purchase some non-free software (several games, legal
codecs, etc).

It might not be the best for power users, but thankfully searching for
"Synaptic" provides Synaptic and Muon, so users can still find and use
what they want.

Thanks!
Sean